Saturday, August 22, 2009

Naomi's sick second birthday



Why do my kids always seem to get sick on their birthday?

Last night we were awoken to the lovely sounds of a child throwing up on the monitor in the 5am hour. I thought "no, not surely would she be sick....we have family and two of her favorite little girl friends coming over in just a few hours."

After staying up until midnight trying to perfect her little Elmo cake she was so excited about, i sat in her rocking chair with her until the sun came up comforting her in between bouts of yuckiness. It reminded me much of her days as an infant- sweet to hold her as she dosed in and out of sleep...but so sad to think she couldn't enjoy her day fully. I think i was sad for selfish reasons....i love birthdays and I love seeing kids delight in their favorite things and of course i was sad b/c i put so much time into cleaning the house, making food etc.

I called our friends and family and bravely they decided to come and celebrate with us despite the sickness. She through up again 15 mins. before they arrived! I do promise to take care of those cuties if they get sick....it was worth it to Naomi to have them here. She was satisfied after the first present and had no idea what to do with the abundance of gifts showered on her from everyone. Grandparents love to spoil!

Honestly i was trying to keep Naomi as far away from everyone as possible and so was my camera...but i am sure someone got a good shot of her blowing the candles out, even though she hasn't had a bite of the cake.
Add Image
On Nathan's second birthday we had to uninvite everyone b/c he had a high fever. He could of cared less about the truck cake i painstakingly made him. On his third birthday he had a cold...but we pushed through with it anyway.

Oh birthdays...why can my kids not enjoy you?

1 comment:

Hurst Family said...

Oh, I'm so sorry Annette!! But happy birthday to Naomi! My girls don't remember their second birthday parties, so don't let it bother you too much! The pictures will be enough for her to look back on one day.
love you